Monday, February 28, 2011

Shrimp & Cheesy Grits

I cannot seem to wake up today - I've had coffee, tea and some fruit, all of which normally snap me out of it, but no such luck. On top of being tired I am cold! It hasn't gotten above 55 in San Francisco - brrrrrrrrr! Ok, the point of all this complaining? When I'm cold and tired I crave comfort food. I want something to stick to my ribs and send me off to sleepy land and tonight that something is Shrimp & Grits. The grits are creamy and filling and I love me some shrimp!
Shrimp & Cheesy Grits
The Stuff:
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup quick cooking grits
3/4 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons tapatio - this gives it a nice kick
2 pinches or grinds of black pepper
1 pound cooked medium or large shrimp
This is the brand I use
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon each salt, pepper and ancho chili powder (or chili powder if you don't have ancho)
1 tablespoons olive oil


The How To:

  • Thaw, devein and peel the shrimp, set aside



  • In a large sauce pan bring the chicken broth to a boil
  • Whisk in the grits, tapatio, garlic powder and ground pepper
  • Lower heat to low, cover sauce pan and cook for 8 minutes or until grits thicken
  • While grits are cooking heat olive oil in a large saute pan
  • Add garlic and cook on high for about a minute, reduce heat to low
  • Toss shrimp with salt, pepper and ancho chili powder
  • Stir shrimp into pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, keep on low


  •  Remove lid from grits and stir in cheese and yogurt


  • Scoop grits into bowl, top with shrimp, serve with a side salad and you have dinner!



Weight Watchers Friends: 1/2 cup grits 4 pts, 5 oz shrimp 4 pts


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment