Monday, February 7, 2011

Shrimp with Whole Wheat Pasta

Today was busy, on top of being under the weather, and really tired, I didn't want to get in the kitchen, but I knew a glass of wine and cheese tray wouldn't do me any good. I needed a 20 minute meal that was filling and yummy so I went to an old favorite - shrimp and pasta! This is a sure winner, very versatile, and EASY! 


Shrimp Pasta

The Stuff:
1 pound cooked shrimp, tails off and deveined (I buy the frozen precooked bags)
Whole wheat pasta
Can of chopped tomatoes with chilies
Juice from 1 lemon
2 cups of spinach
1 roma tomato chopped
1 shallot chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
3 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons olive oil

The How To:
FYI on shrimp: I buy a big bag of already cooked shrimp that's been frozen. I put the amount I want in a bowl and fill with luke warm water until defrosted.
  • Cook pasta al dente 
  • Saute the shallots and garlic until shallots are tender
  • Add chili flakes and let cook for 3 minutes, adding the chili flakes now opens up the flavors and brings out the heat
  • Add canned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes
  • Add salt and pepper to taste
  • Add shrimp and lemon juice, cook for 3 minutes
  • In a big bowl dump spinach and add fresh tomatoes 
  • Add pasta, top with shrimp mixture
  • Mix around until spinach is wilted, add pasta water if needed
  • Serve with garlic bread and fresh asiago cheese

Weight Watcher Friends: 1/2 cup whole wheat pasta, 3oz shrimp and sauce is 5p+

No comments:

Post a Comment