Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cooking Club: Mexican Food

Some girlfriends and I decided to start a cooking club. We had a potluck dinner in December and found out that we all, well most of us, loved cooking! We've know each other for 20 years and are just finding this out - ha! Makes me laugh. Anyways, last night was the first meet up and it was a total success! The theme was Mexican food - my absolute favorite! I was tasked with creating a side dish and since I anticipated lots of cheese, sour cream and yummy goodness I wanted to make mine low fat. I made Refried Bean Bake - easy and yummy (I think I say "easy and yummy" all the time, that will be the name of my first cookbook ) (Excuse this floating smiley, I'm still learning this stuff)


I didn't get a picture of the final dish because we were all starving and dug right in, so just picture a gooey, cheesy bean dip - so good!


Refried Bean Bake


The Stuff:
1 16 oz can nonfat refried beans, I like the kind with chilies
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup nonfat salsa
2/3 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
4 green onions, sliced


The How To:
  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Combine beans, salsa, and 1/3 cup of the cheese into a bowl
I was soooo excited to have natural light I took a ton of pictures,
here's one of just the black beans!
The yummy goodness all mixed together
  • Transfer ingredients into a baking dish
Ready to bake
  • Bake for 10 minutes
  • Take out and stir, the cheese should melt and incorporate into the beans and salsa
  • Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 3-5 minute, until cheese is melted
  • Sprinkle with green onions  
Weight Watcher Friends: 3p+ for 1/4 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment