Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sally Lunn Bread

One of my favorite bloggers, Deb from Smitten Kitchen is just fabulous. She takes amazing photos and makes some delicious food. One of her newest recipes is an adapted recipe from Maida Heatter's cookbook Sally Lunn Bread. My oh my this stuff is good! This was my first time using yeast - I was always scared but it is easy. I should have let it rise a little longer, but it still turned out wonderfully.  This bread sorta taste like brioche - I bet it would make a wonderful french toast. Its a little sweet, melts in your mouth and worth making!


Sally Lunn Bread 
The Stuff:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
1 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk



The How To:

  • In a large bowl mix 3/4 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast, I used my kitchen aid bowl
  • In a saucepan heat milk and butter and then pour that mixture into the dry ingredients, mix for 2 minutes or mix vigorously by hand for 3 minutes
  • Mix in egg, yolk, another 1/2 cup flour and mix again for 2 minutes in mixer or mix vigorously by hand for 3 minutes
  • Add the rest of the flour and mix until smooth
  • Cover with plastic and let rise for an hour or until doubled
  • Butter and flour a loaf pan 
  • Once dough has doubled, scoop out onto prepared loaf pan, cover with buttered plastic for 15 minutes
  • Remove plastic and set for 15 minutes more, during this time preheat oven to 375
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes
  • Cool for 5 minutes, then flip out onto rack to cool completely or start eating it then


Weight Watchers: Makes 12 slices, 1 slice is 4p+


Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment