Monday, January 31, 2011

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandos & Coleslaw



Pulled pork sandos with coleslaw - yummers! I love these because they are so good and so easy. I use my crock pot to make these puppies so when I get home dinner is basically done. Side note, I use my crock pot at least once a week and plan to share many recipes with you.
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandos


The Stuff:
2lb pork shoulder, all fat trimmed (cut it into pieces to help get that fat in the middle)
2 cups favorite BBQ sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1tablespoon garlic powder
1/8 cup sriracha sauce (if you don't like spicy, omit this, but it adds a nice kick)
Earthgrains thin buns




The How To:
  • Mix BBQ sauce, sriracha sauce, cumin, and garlic powder in a small bowl, reserve 1/8 a cup
  • Cover bottom crock pot with a thin layer of the BBQ sauce mix, add a layer of pork, then add a layer of BBQ sauce, then pork, etc. until no more pork is left
  • Top with remaining BBQ sauce, then add pepper and salt
*I suggest doing these first three steps the night before and storing the crock pot with the lid on in the fridge, then put it on in the morning.

Your creation should look like this (excuse my photos, I use my iPhone)
  • Cook on low for 10-12hours 
  • You'll know its done when the pork falls apart with a poke of the fork and your house smells so good you can't take it anymore!
  • Place the meat onto a cutting board, get two forks and start pulling until what you have left is a huge pile of pulled pork goodness
  • Put it back in the crock pot for another 15-20 minutes and add more BBQ sauce if you think it needs it. I give permission to taste the meat at this time - I always do!
Coleslaw
Take a bag of already chopped up cabbage mix (you can chop your own if you have that kind of time - on a Monday night, the last thing I want to do is chop cabbage, carrots, and onions)


Add 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/8 cup of olive oil mayonnaise (or whatever mayo you want), salt and pepper, 1 tsp agave nectar, and 1 teaspoon of dry mustard. Now taste and add salt or pepper or more agave if it needs it. The slaw is not really creamy, but it is so good, if you want to add more mayonnaise for more creaminess be my guest. Making the slaw can also be done the day before, just stick it in the fridge and let it marinate.
Now its time to build: place a spoonful of the pulled pork on to a toasted bun, top with a generous helping of coleslaw and top with bun. Grab a handful of napkins and dig in!
Weight Watcher Friends: 4 oz of meat is 6 p+, thin bun is 3p+ and slaw is 1p+

No comments:

Post a Comment