Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tilapia Fish Sticks

I am not sure about you, but when I was a kid fish sticks made a regular appearance on the dinner table. They were easy for my mom to make leaving her time to pack lunches, clean house and do the other 100 different things single moms have to do. As I've gotten older, I'm not a fan of frozen fish sticks - I am actually not sure there is anything "fishy" about them. So, I decided to make a grown up version using panko and tilapia and baking them - these babies are good! And, still pretty easy, not as easy as the frozen ones, but who eats frozen fish sticks anymore?:)

Tilapia Fish Sticks

The Stuff:
3 tilapia fillets
1 cup panko crumbs
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 cup egg white substitute or 2 eggs beaten

The How To:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Cut fish in half like a hot dot and then in half like a hamburger (am I the only one that grew up with this? Just in case, cut longways and then cut short ways :)
  • In a bowl put panko, pepper, parsley and chili powder, in another bowl put beaten eggs
  • Create an assembly line with cut fish first, then egg, then panko, then a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam cooking spray
  • Take fish one piece at a time and dip in egg until well coated, then dip into panko until completely covered, place on cookie sheet, continue with remaining fish
  • Spray fish with a couple sprays of Pam to help seal the crumbs
  • Bake for 10 minutes, then flip and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until browned
  • Serves 2-3 depending on how hungry The MR. is...I normally have 1 tilapia fillet, served with cooked spinach and sweet potatoes
WW Friends: 4 sticks (1 fillet) is 4p+

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment