Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meyer Lemon Curd

So, remember those yummy scones I posted a couple days ago? Well, I have the PERFECT item to top them with - Meyer Lemon Curd! My, oh my talk about yummy! Curd is an English tradition one would find during high tea paired with biscuits or scones. It is so easy to make its a crime that I've never made it before. Using Meyer lemons was ideal because it cut the amount of sugar out that I had to use.  

Meyer Lemon Curd
Recipe adapted from Epicurious

The Stuff:
4 Meyer Lemons
1/4 cup sugar (add more if you want it sweet, I like the tart lemony flavor so kept the sugar to a minimum)
2 large eggs
1 stick unsalted butter cut in to cubes

The How To:
  • Grate lemon zest to measure about a tablespoon
  • Squeeze the lemons to get 1/2 cup of juice
  • Whisk together the zest, juice, sugar and eggs in a metal bowl
  • Add butter

  • In a saucepan, simmer water, once brought to a simmer lower heat to low
  • Place metal bowl with ingredients on top of saucepan making sure the pan is not so full of water that the water touches the bottom of the bowl - you don't want that
  • Whisk ingredients continuously until thick and smooth

  • You can run the curd through a sieve, I didn't find it necessary though
  • Serve warm, or cover and put in fridge until you are ready to use, I had trouble not eating by the spoon full as soon as it was done cooking - this stuff is GOOD!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment